Do Mice Die in the House After Eating Poison

Mice are very annoying pests that seem to have no boundaries when it comes to infestations. They are one of the earliest pests taking advantage of stored food and have since forever glued themselves to our habitats and nothing has really changed. Today mice have access to an amazing variety of food thanks to advances in agriculture and other food-related advances that we have been going through. Mice may look cute, but they are a true menace to society, cute, but still, a horrible pest to have since they will destroy everything on their path in order to survive. Mice carry over 35 diseases including the Hanta disease a pulmonary that affects especially children and the elderly.

If you have mice that you want to get rid of, hire the professionals from Mouse Control

So back to the original question? Do mice in the house die after poison? Not exactly and not immediately. Depending on the potency of the poison used, most mice will retreat to their nest and will die there. In normal cases, it will take a few days before mice die and if they do in the house, it will leave a horrible stench and this is due to the water content. Mice are attracted to the poison by scent and this is strategically placed when you involve a professional. Over-the-counter products have unfortunately not much strength to them to effectively kill a whole colony of mice. Yes, it might be effective for a small group of mice, but this rarely happens in a home infestation since mice are very good at reproducing. In fact, they are so good, that mice are sexually active at just a few weeks old.

You probably wonder what types of poisons there are so let’s dive right into it without further ado.


The name already alludes to it slightly. This poison will lead to an overproduction of calcium, and this is how the rat will die. The calcium levels will reach such a level that it will lead to calcification of the lungs and when these lungs harden the rat will die eventually of suffocation. This will also lead to the hardening of the vessels, kidneys, and stomach wall.



 Anti-coagulants block the production of vitamin K. This will lead to blood clots. The effect of these anti-coagulants and the blocking of vitamin K will happen quite gradually and will lead to the death of the rat in a few days. Several causes can happen such as hemorrhage and ammonia. It might even lead to internal bleeding as well. Not the best way to die, but a sure one.


Metal phosphides

Metal phosphates are a very good alternative to the mice who built up a resistance to anticoagulants. The phosphides are way cheaper than the anti-coagulants and for this reason a very preferable option. The product is quick to act and attacks vital organs within a few hours. It also attacks the central nervous system. Metals that are used are magnesium, aluminum, and zinc.

If you need mice gone, hire us professional fully insured and licensed individuals. Call 647-496-0492

Call Us Now