Can Old Mouse Droppings Make You Sick

Can Old Mouse Droppings Make You Sick?

Old mouse droppings can absolutely make you sick. These contain many harmful bacteria that can poison your food and become airborne, causing disease and allergic reactions. While it’s unclear how long each bacteria or virus can survive in the feces, mouse droppings are a breeding ground for other harmful particles to grow. They also attract other pests into the home. Mouse droppings should always be disposed of immediately. If you have a mouse problem and need it fixed, call Mouse Control Toronto now.

Mice are nocturnal, omnivorous rodents that are attracted to the warmth and shelter that people’s homes have to offer. As prey to cats, owls, hawks, skunks, snakes, and other predators, mice like to hide as much as possible. This means that they can go unnoticed for a long time, nesting in the insulation between the walls of the house. Mice measure between 5 and 10cm in length, not counting their long, hairless tails. The house mouse is mostly grey, while the deer mouse has a brown back and white belly. These are the most common species to invade Canadian homes.

Mouse droppings can be found wherever mice go – in and under kitchen cabinets, along baseboards, under sinks, in the pantry, in the attic, in the garage, and even in the walls. You might even find droppings in your food because mice are great at chewing their way through boxes and containers. Mouse droppings are tiny and look a lot like black grains of rice. They risk containing things like salmonella, listeria, and hantavirus, which cause terrible diseases in humans. Mouse droppings might also contain parasites. Children that are exposed to these feces risk developing allergies and showing signs of asthma.

Whether you’re dealing with old or new droppings, it’s important that you clean them up. To clean up mouse droppings, first put on a pair of rubber, vinyl, or latex gloves. Spray the droppings with a household disinfectant or bleach and water solution, then let it sit for a few minutes. This will give the product time to neutralize bacteria and viruses. With a paper towel, carefully pick up the droppings and throw them out in the garbage. Never use a vacuum to clean up droppings because it can make the fecal particles airborne, which you then risk breathing in. Next, clean the entire area by mopping the floor with disinfectant, disinfecting nearby objects and surfaces, and washing fabrics at the highest allowable heat setting. When you’re done, take your gloves out and throw them out.

It’s better to be safe than sorry. Animal droppings can always make you sick, so you should always dispose of them properly. If you think you’re dealing with an infestation that is still ongoing, you should consider getting professional help. A licensed pest removal technician will have access to the best traps and baits. A professional can also point out to you what may be causing your mouse problem in the first place, so you can mouse-proof your home. Mouse Control offers safe and effective mouse removal, mouse-proofing, and cleaning services. Call today: 647-496-0492.

Call Us Now